Saturday, December 7, 2013

Synchronize Kindle metadata between 2 Macs for 3rd party books

I try hard to stick to e-books for my developer resources for the obvious benefits of search and electronic notes/bookmarks.  I have several Macs and I use Dropbox to sync content and 3rd party e-books but I couldn't figure out how to sync my Kindle metadata for those 3rd party books.  Today I finally figured out a solution that works for Macs.

  1. Created a Kindle_3rd_Party_Content folder within my Dropbox folder.
  2. Moved all 3rd party .mobi and .mbp files to that folder.
  3. Created symbolic links to the 3rd party .mobi and .mbp files within my Kindle application's Content Folder on one of my Macs
  4. Duplicated step 3 on my other Macs

Now when I open my Kindle application on any of my Macs, Kindle recognizes the symbolic links as being within my Downloaded Items, and when I add notes/bookmarks or change my location, my changes are saved via the symbolic link to the original .mbp file stored in Dropbox.

The key to this solution is to use symbolic links instead of aliases, because the Kindle application does not recognize aliases.

The Dropbox Wiki provided some great suggestions on how to sync folders outside of the Dropbox folder.  Tom Nelson gave a nice explanation of the differences between aliases and symbolic links.

No comments:

Post a Comment