Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Enable blog editor with Google 2-step verification

I have neglected my blog for too long so I decided to rename and overhaul my site and get blogging!  I selected MarsEdit for my new offline editor and immediately hit a snag - it would not accept my Google account credentials.

Turns out the root of this problem is I have Google's 2-step verification enabled on my account.  The solution is straightforward:

  1. Open Gmail
  2. Gear wheel > Settings > Accounts and Import > Other Google Account Settings > Security
  3. Click the Settings button under the 2-Step Verification section
  4. Manage Application Passwords
  5. Entered MarsEdit as the application name, generated a password, and then used that password during the MarsEdit setup process

Thanks to David Herron's post for the solution to this issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment